Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cinnimon Buns!

Many of my fondest memories growing up were made in the kitchen.  My siblings and I would often be dropped off at our grandparents house after school when we were little and my grandma would often have something going on in the kitchen or in the garden!  On occasion we would arrive to find a great giant bowl on the kitchen table, overflowing with mounds of dough.  After washing our hands we had the pleasure of being able to 'punch' down the dough.  She would then give us each our own portion of the rubbery stuff and some cleaned up soup can 'pans' and while she was busy making her large portion into loaves of bread, we would roll ours around for a while before finally stuffing it into each of our mini 'pans'.  When the loaves came out, we each would have our own tasty treat to pull apart and smother in fresh butter with a glass of cold creamy milk. 

Since then I have always loved making bread.  Learning how to go from a sticky mess to a workable dough with out having any stick to my hands was a small acheivement in my kitchen, and now one that is easy acomplished everytime.  Ive made so many types of breads over the years aquiring many blue ribbons in the adult section of our local fair (beating out even my own grandmother) before I was 13!  I've even had my hand at making crossiants which take hours upon hours, and bagels with their rising/bake/boil/baking.  So Im not scared of the odd challange. 

Cinnimon buns have always had a love-hate place in my heart.  Ive never been able to get them to taste good, or they turn into candy or they dont rise...  So incredibly frustrating!  BUT yesterday I finally did it!  They rose up wonderfully and when they were finished baking and I lifted the parchement out of the baking pan they fell apart into beautiful individual buns with just the right amount of gooey goodness to afford having more then one at one time!

Please keep in mind that with all recipes that I 'make up' in my kitchen, I dont really measure.  I use my hand to measure, and often do not keep very good track of the exact amounts, so you can play with them a bit!

Even though flour is pre sifted, it is important to 'fluff' your flour.  Simply whisk it a bit before addying to your recipe!


Dough

1 tbsp fast rising yeast ( I actually used bread machine yeast!)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour
2 cups VERY warm water (you could use very warm milk as well)


3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 tbsp cinnimon

4-7 cups of flour
2-3 tbsp oil


Filling

1 1/2 tbsp cinnimon
1 1/2 cups margerine (or butter), softened
3/4 c brown sugar

Whisk together the yeast, sugar, salt & 1 c flour.  Whisk in the water and stir until there are no lumps.  Add the eggs, 1/3c oil and 1 tbsp cinnimon.  Using  a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time until you can begin to knead it.  Do not all too much flour. Keep it light, and knead quickly only until the dough forms a nice ball.  Cover the ball with the 2-3 tbsp oil, place back in the bowl and let rise in a warm place for about 30 mins. 

Mix together the cinnimon, sugar and butter to make a spread.

cut dough in half, and working one half at a time, roll out very thin.  Spread with half of the cinnimon butter mixture, and roll up.  Seal the roll by wetting the edge with a bit of water and pinching closed.  cut into 1 in sections and place on a parchement lined pan about 3/4 in apart from each other.  Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.  Bake in a preheated oven at 375F for about 10 minutes. (metal pans will finish faster then stoneware).  Remove from oven when tops are golden brown.  Let cool in pan for 5 mins then lift the parchment onto a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.

Feel free to add raisons or nuts if you like them in your buns, double the butter mixture if you want more goo, or top with your favourite icing. 

2 comments:

  1. Drooooollllll!!!!

    In my kitchen you must always sift the flour. A certain two year old thinks it's funny to drop handfuls of dog kibble in the flour bin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg these buns were amazing!!!!! they were so soft and so tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete