Friday, October 9, 2009

It's in the name!

Roasted red pepper soup! One of my two most favourites - even my picky DH will eat it. My kids LOVED it the first time but they seem to have some fear of any soup. Aaron will actually pour his on his mashed potatos and then eat it. He actually argues with me when i put gravy on his potatos, that it is actually soup and not gravy. I've given up trying to correct this! This is an absolutly simple recipe that will leave your guests feeling like they have been treated to a most exquisit gourmet meal! I urge you to give er a go and then let me know how you like it!


Roasted Red Pepper Soup

3 tblsp olive oil, divided
1 large onion, chopped
4 large red peppers, halved and seeded
4 large cloves of garlic, unpeeled
1 can condensed chicken broth
1 can water
1 cup cream, (I use half & half, 10%)
sea salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste

Start by heating your pan with 1 tbsp of oil, and frying the onions on med/low heatstirring occasionally. While they are cooking rub the skin side of the peppers and the garlic with olive oil and place just the peppers on a cookie sheet skin side up. Place them in the middle of the oven under the broiler for about 15-25 min at 400F until they are BLACK (dont worry, black is good!) Throw the garlic in the last 10 mins to roast as well. Once they are are black, remove from the broiler and let cool until you can handle them. Onions are done when translusant and golden brown on edges. Simply pull the soft cloves of garlic from the skin, and peel off the pepper skin and discard. Throw the pepper flesh and the garlic into a blender and blend until smooth. Add your cooked onions and blend again, then add your condensed soup, and water.

***This is where I actually freeze mine, I divide it into 2 freezer bags and when I am going to use it, I just thaw, heat then add cream and salt & pepper - serve~!***

Return to pan and heat on med until it starts to bubble then add cream and salt & pepper to taste. If you dont like seeing the pepper, you could easily use a white pepper, but I love seeing it so I use black! serve!


Have fun... Do this recipe with yellow peppers as well and serve both, half and half in the bowl! makes a stunning dish!

0 comments:

Post a Comment